- Lithium from ioneer’s Rhyolite Ridge project in Nevada will be supplied directly to Prime Planet Energy & Solutions, Inc. (“PPES”)
- In support of end-to-end U.S. Electrified Vehicle supply chain and delivering on ioneer’s initiatives, lithium supplied by ioneer will be produced, refined and incorporated into lithium-ion batteries by PPES, which will promote electrification in the U.S. Market
- The 5-year binding Agreement is for a total of 4,000 tonnes per annum of lithium carbonate from ioneer’s Rhyolite Ridge Lithium-Boron operation in Nevada and represents approximately 19% of annual output in the first 5 years of production
- Prime Planet Energy & Solutions is a joint venture battery company between Toyota Motor Corporation and Panasonic Corporation
Monday, 1 August 2022 – ioneer Ltd (ioneer or the Company) (ASX: INR, NASDAQ: IONR), an emerging lithium–boron supplier, is pleased to announce it has signed a binding offtake supply agreement (“Agreement”) with the Prime Planet Energy & Solutions (“PPES”) joint venture between Toyota Motor Corporation (“Toyota”) and Panasonic Corporation (“Panasonic”), in which ioneer will supply PPES with lithium carbonate from its Rhyolite Ridge Lithium-Boron Project (“Rhyolite Ridge”) in Nevada.
PPES is a battery production company established through joint-investment between Toyota, the world’s largest automotive manufacturer by revenue, and Panasonic, a leading battery manufacturer.
Under the Agreement, ioneer will deliver 4,000 tons per annum (tpa) of lithium carbonate to PPES over a 5-year term. PPES will utilise ioneer’s lithium carbonate to produce batteries for use in U.S. electric vehicles.
ioneer is expected to produce an annual average of approximately 20,600 tonnes of lithium carbonate/hydroxide along with approximately 174,400 tonnes of boric acid per year over the Rhyolite Ridge project’s 26-year life. The dual production of lithium and boric acid allows ioneer to not only produce lithium in the U.S., but to do so at the very bottom of the global cost curve. ioneer anticipates commencing production in 2025 to support urgent requirements for battery materials in the United States.
This Agreement follows the two earlier binding offtake agreements and, in total represents the completion of pre-production lithium carbonate supply commitments it currently intends to make for Rhyolite Ridge.
ioneer’s Executive Chairman, James Calaway, said:
“ioneer is grateful to announce another key milestone for our company with a lithium carbonate offtake agreement with PPES. PPES is a world-class organization, and we look forward to being their trusted partner. This and the previously announced Ford and EcoPro agreements solidify ioneer’s focus on the U.S. Electric Vehicle supply chain infrastructure. We look forward to providing lithium materials to PPES and all our offtake partners for their growth in the EV global market.”
PPES’s President, Hiroaki Koda said:
“I am delighted to have a great partnership with ioneer in the battery supply chain, that can promote vehicle electrification toward realizing a carbon-neutral society. Having an agreement with ioneer provides PPES a first step in securing a U.S. supply of lithium, one of the most important parts for corresponding with the fast growing electrified vehicle industry. We have confidence in ioneer’s technology of refining sedimentary sourced lithium and their competitiveness, and are expecting it to strengthen the PPES supply chain.”
Key terms of the Agreement include:
- Product: Lithium carbonate.
- Contract Duration: 5 Years
- Volume: 4,000 tpa.
- Price: Adjusted quarterly based on agreed price formula
- Currency: USD per metric ton.
- Conditions Precedent: ioneer’s Final Investment Decision
Official Press Release